Double the Miter, Double the Fun
With the onset of miter functionality, the metal cutting bandsaw increased its usefulness in metalworking shops the world over. No longer just a tool for cutting stock to size, the miter bandsaw allowed fabricators to cut an angle into the end of workpiece, allowing it to be welded to a matching piece to form a corner of a structure, among other uses.
It wasn’t long before some bandsaw manufacturer decided that if a saw could miter to positive angles, why couldn’t one be designed to also cut negative degrees? Thus, the double miter bandsaw was born. Originally using a rotary vise to position the workpiece to positive or negative angles, most double miter bandsaws today have a swiveling head that brings it into position over a stationary workpiece. Not only does this improve the stability and accuracy of the cut, but it also allows a saw to have a smaller space requirement in a shop, while usually enabling a longer workpiece to be cut at any of the available angles.
Benefits of a Double Miter Metal Cutting Bandsaw
For the shop that does very little angle cutting, a double miter bandsaw might be overkill. Afterall, a workpiece that needs both a positive and a negative angle cut made in it can be removed and repositioned for the second cut in a single miter bandsaw. However, if a shop cuts several angles in a day, a double miter bandsaw could well be a saving grace, justifying any additional expense incurred to purchase the more versatile machine.
Let’s say a fabricator is tasked with creating a square metal framework from metal tubing. Using a single miter saw, he could cut a long piece of tubing into four equal lengths, then miter each end of each piece—removing and repositioning the workpiece in between each cut—to create a 45° angle that will match up with one of the other pieces to be welded into a corner of the frame. With a double miter machine, however, the same fabricator could load the long tube and slide it into position for a 45° right positive cut, then sliding it forward in the vise and making a -45° cut and so on. A total of five cuts, one at each end and three in the middle, with the original workpiece never completely leaving the machine, just being advanced and retightened in the vise each time. Rotating the saw head instead of the material makes for a much quicker job when multiple miter cuts are required.
Double Miter Bandsaws from RMT
At Revolution Machine Tools, we know our customers need the option to miter, often at positive and negative degrees on the same workpiece, so we produce double miter bandsaws in a variety of sizes and styles, from an affordable 9″ manual saw in our S-ECO series to more than two feet of cutting capacity with our S-FAB CDM 26-39 semiautomatic bandsaw.
Whatever your double-miter cutting needs, RMT has a saw that can deliver. Available models include:
- 9″ S-ECO PDM 9-12 Manual Pivot Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 9″ round or square at 0°; 9″ round/8″ square at 45° and -45°; 5.5″ round and square at 60°
- 9″ S-FAB PDM 9-12 Manual Pivot Type Double Miter Bandsaw (featuring Siti heavy duty gear box) | Cutting capacity of 9.1″ round or square at 0°; 8.3″ round/7.1″ square at 45° and -45°; 4.7″ round/3.9″ square at 60°
- 10″ S-ECO PDM 10-14 Manual Pivot Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 10.6″ round/10″ square at 0°; 9.4″ round/6.7″ square at 45° and -45°; 5.9″ round/3.9″ square at 60°
- 13″ S-FAB PDM 13-18 Semiautomatic Pivot Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 13″ round/12.6″ square at 0°; 12.6″ round and square at 30°, -30°, 45°, and -45°; 9.5″ round/8.7″ square at -60°
- 14″ S-FAB PDM 14-24 Semiautomatic Pivot Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 14.2″ round or square at 0°, 30°, 45°, -30°, -45°, and -60°; 13.4″ round/11.8″ square at 60°
- 14″ S-FAB CDM 14-25 Semiautomatic Column Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 14.2″ round or square at 0°, 30°, 45°, -30°, and -45°; 12.2″ round/10.6″ square at 60°
- 17″ S-FAB PDM 17-24 Semiautomatic Pivot Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 17.3″ round or square at 0°, 30°, and -30°; 16.1″ round or square at 45° and -45°; 12.6″ round/9.8″ square at 60°; 12.6″ round/11.2″ square at -60°
- 18″ S-FAB CDM 18-25 Semiautomatic Column Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 18″ round or square at 0°, 30°, and -30°; 18″ round/15.7″ square at 45°; 15.4″ round and square at -45°; 9.8″ round or square at 60°
- 21″ S-FAB CDM 21-32 Semiautomatic Column Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 22″ round/21.3″ square at 0°, 30°, and -31°; 21.7″ round/21.3″ square at 45° and -45°; 14.2″ round or square at 60°
- 26″ S-FAB CDM 26-39 Semiautomatic Column Type Double Miter Bandsaw | Cutting capacity of 25.6″ round/23.6″ square at 0°, 30°, 45°, -30°, and -45°; 17.3″ round or square at 60°
Be Sure to Get My Best Angle
Though they cost a little more, double miter metal bandsaws give the busy fabricator the opportunity for greater productivity when angle cutting in mass production as well as the flexibility to move through a single piece of ornamental metalwork without as many creativity-breaking disruptions.
Find your best angle in mitered metal cutting by contacting Revolution Machine Tools today for a highly competitive quote on one of our highly accurate bandsaws.